When checking ID for fraudulent, fake or defaced cards you and your staff should:
- examine ID in well-lit areas where alterations will be more obvious (have an initial checkpoint at the front door)
- ask patrons to remove ID from wallets and purses (and out of any clear plastic sleeve) for inspection
- hold the ID in your own hands and take your time examining it
- feel around the photo, birth date and edges of the card (wrinkles, bumps and air bubbles could mean the ID has been tampered with)
- compare the photo with the patron presenting the ID (pay particular attention to distinguishing facial features – do they match?)
- check that the date of birth on the ID confirms the patron is over 18 years (licences and some other forms of ID can be issued to minors)
- ensure the ID includes a hologram or other security feature.